Every employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI and demonstrating the Core Values in their day to day operations. The Core Values, which are IRI’s foundational building blocks include:
Excellence– We believe in quality results delivered by investing in people. Freedom– We believe in exploration and experimentation to be agile and responsive. Respect- We believe in trust, empathy and empowering people. Teamwork- We believe in diversity, inclusion and the power of global collaboration. Transparency– We believe in open communication and clear decision-making. Accountability- We believe in personal responsibility as the foundation of success.
IRI is seeking an Expatriate Resident Program Director (RPD) to provide overall leadership, management, and technical direction of IRI’s election, youth empowerment, and media programs in Haiti. This expatriate position will be based in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, and will serve as the program’s key liaison with donors, project stakeholders, and partners in the public and private sectors. This position directly oversees field staff maintaining overall responsibility for technical implementation and operations in the field office. S/he develops long-range and annual plans for the country program, identifies potential partner organizations, develops country program strategies, and oversees projects.
- Undergraduate degree in political science, international relations or related field.
- Eight to ten years of professional experience in democratic governance and politics, preferably working directly with and providing support to civil society organizations/NGOs, legislative bodies, and/or elected officials.
- Demonstrated experience working in complex political environments, developing and maintaining sensitive relationships with program stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge strengthening civil society organizations and leading civic and voter education campaigns.
- Demonstrated operational and management experience working in challenging environments with high security requirements. Proven ability to work and manage within an established security framework.
- Working knowledge of the politics, economics, history, and culture of Haiti.
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills in English and French. Candidates who are fluent or have a strong professional capacity in Haitian Creole are encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated management experience including ability to motivate and manage staff.
- Demonstrated experience working with USG funded projects and familiarity with USG regulations and processes.
- Demonstrated financial management experience in developing and administering program budgets.
- Ability to prepare, present and negotiate complex and sensitive agreements and/or project proposals with bilateral/multi-lateral agencies and other donor communities.
- Ability to communicate skills and experience to others as a trainer, advisor or technical consultant; sensitivity to working in advisory role with local organizations.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team to coordinate and lead the efforts of other professionals to effectively meet program goals.
- Willingness to travel within the country of assignment a significant amount throughout the year.
- Willingness to live and work in the country of assignment.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
- Leads and collaborates with the Haiti Field Team to develop and implement specified election, youth empowerment and media programs.
- Serves as the official senior IRI representative in country, developing credibility with and maintaining good relationships with all relevant stakeholders, including U.S. and foreign diplomats and donor agencies, host-country government representatives, and program partners.
- Establishes, maintains, and develops productive working relationship with relevant stakeholders, consultants, field and DC staff.
- Oversees the implementation of all program activities in Haiti, including in the interior, ensuring consistency with grant work plans and objectives.
- Monitors and reports to DC staff on political and economic developments, and media responses
- Oversees all operations (Finance, HR, Security) related to the IRI Haiti field presence and ensures IRI is in compliance with local laws regarding IRI’s leal status in country and employment of local staff.
- Supervises local field staff, including participating in the hiring, professional development and evaluation process for these staff. Sets specific goals and provides ongoing performance feedback.
- Mentors local staff in program development, finance, work plan development and presentation, reporting, monitoring and evaluation, business development and knowledge management in their country of assignment.
- Manages and oversees annual implementation plans and monitoring, evaluation, and learning plans to ensure that program activities reflect the objectives and scope of the approved proposal/grant.
- Participates in the substantive design of new programs and contributes to the development of new program ideas.
- Maintains an understanding of donor and IRI policies and procedures related to grant compliance and oversight.
- Understands the substantive, financial and compliance requirements of all grants assigned.
- Monitors, analyzes and reports to DC staff on political and economic developments, and media responses.
- Ensures adherence to monitoring and evaluation plans, including the monitoring of programs and evaluation/analysis of program results.
- Provides information and contributes to sections of quarterly, semi-annual, final and other relevant reports for funders.
- Anticipates potential problems and trouble shoots project problems and offers solutions and actively takes part to lead resolution of them with creative and immediate solutions.
- Leads business development efforts, including identifying and seeking out potential new or additional sources of funding with real-time costs estimates for proposal budgets, and/or the development of new program ideas, coordinating with DC staff.
- Actively supports IRI’s communication strategy including IRI’s branding and outreach plans on projects assigned, including drafts and updates program summaries and other outreach materials, drafts web stories, tweets, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
How to apply